Tuesday, November 3, 2009

11-3-09 The other day I was reading an article in Guideposts that referenced National Public Radio’s project called Story Corps. This is a program that travels the country, allowing individuals to interview someone of significance to them and then the radio interview is archived for posterity. The article mentioned some questions that NPR suggests in order to accomplish a successful interview. The questions were:
· What was the happiest moment of your life?
· Of what are you most proud?
· What are the most important lessons you have learned in life?

I started thinking about and wondering how I would answer these questions.

I don’t remember many times in my life where I would describe myself as “happy.” Two scenarios came to mind. I always looked forward to visiting my aunt’s and uncle’s house, especially at holiday time when there were a lot of relatives around. It was always a safe and warm place to be, a haven where I felt loved, and where I basked in the glow of being surrounded by family. The other thought that came to mind was similar in setting, though years later. I met and visited the family of a man with whom I was close. They embraced me immediately and, again, I felt that wonderful warmth of love and acceptance. As an only child, and especially after my father died, I often felt isolated and alone. It makes sense to me that moments like the ones I just described would become significant ones.

Of what am I most proud? I have spent most of my life feeling inadequate, never, ever seeming to be “good enough” for whatever situation was upon me at the time. Yes, I graduated from high school, and then from college. I even stuck it out long enough with state employment to be able to retire and collect a pension. I completed a program in massage therapy. Yes, all of these are good things. But I have always been a “Jill of all trades, master of none.” I have never become proficient at any one thing, and have changed jobs many more times than I care to count. Several years ago I became involved with a prison ministry program through my church. That, and continuing a friendship with two prisoners I met during that time, may be what makes me feel most proud. It was hard to get up in front of a group of prisoners and lead part of a service. I can’t sing…and yet I did – in front of those prisoners. And the two with whom I have maintained contact? Well, I know they both respect me, and appreciate the fact that I take time for them. It has been in this venue I have felt I’ve made the most difference.

What are the most important lessons I have learned?
· Do not hold onto anger. It eats away at a person, and deprives that person of having a richer and more fulfilling life. I have witnessed the toll it takes.
· Treat all people with compassion and with dignity. I believe that every person has something good inside of him or her, and some people merely need a listening ear to draw them out and let someone see the goodness within.
· It is better to try and fail, than never to try at all. I have spent much of my life being afraid to try. It is not productive, and doesn’t make a person feel good about him or herself.
· Love. Touch. Connection. These are vital to health and productivity. Expressing your feelings, and hearing another’s, are so very necessary to feel alive. Protecting yourself from pain or rejection merely disconnects you from the vitality and joy of life itself. A love in my past once wrote me that “if, in giving you love I caused pain, you know you are alive. Knowing that…you may live with fullness…when you are lost and lonely. Remember that to be loved even briefly, is to be loved forever.” Young love, wise words.

No comments:

Post a Comment