Thursday, September 9, 2010

9-9-10 It has been just over two months since I last wrote. During that time, I have begun to make changes.

First, my massage business is closed. A woman who was at first interested in sharing the space agreed to take over the rent. (Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a high demand for massage equipment. I still have things to sell.) I feel no regrets. It was an experience – an enjoyable one – but it was not the right fit for me.

Secondly, I have decided to try my hand at a proofreading, copyediting, maybe copywriting, business. I even have a great name for it. Since I live in Michigan’s beautiful Upper Peninsula (the “U P”), where natives are referred to as Yoopers, I will call my business Yooperscribe. I know I am approaching this completely in reverse, but, because I like the name so much, I have already gotten my DBA (“doing business as”) registered with the county, in order to protect the name. I have also gotten some business cards printed, and some address labels. I feel enthusiastic about the prospects here, but have a need to define my market better.

I have also signed up for an online proofreading class. I need to know how much I DON’T know. Hopefully, I will complete the class, not only knowing more, but feeling confident that this is indeed something at which I can succeed.

Amazingly, I have already had a couple of jobs. I ran into a woman I had met while doing massage who has a business to help businesses network and grow. She remembered me, liked my idea, and kept my business card. A short while later, her partner contacted me to help someone they knew format policies and procedures for a service group in town. The woman whose responsibility it was told me she was very pleased with the outcome. I also made contact with a man online who does a newsletter. He had quite a few typos and was interested in receiving help to improve. It currently appears as though this may develop into a long term relationship.

I have not tried advertising as of yet. My intent is to wait until I have completed the class. Another avenue to explore will be the local college campus. Although they have a writing center available to students, I am hoping there still may be a market there.

I have always struggled with feelings of inadequacy, always fearing that I’m not “good enough.” In a logical adult world, I can look back and see where a lot of these feelings began. How amazing that they have remained with me all these years! Still, I am feeling hopeful about this decision. I would much rather be in the writing world than in the insurance/customer service business. I believe I will be much more comfortable in this venue if I can achieve it. I find it scary to think that it will be solely my responsibility to find jobs. However, I also feel a level of confidence I didn’t have in myself with massage therapy.

My plan remains to move forward. Over the years, I have learned that it uses too much energy to compare yourself to others. There will always be those who are better than you in some way – intelligence, technical capabilities, manual dexterity, art, music…the list is endless. Rather, it is more important to trust in your own assets, and to trust in God. Ask God for help when things become difficult. Use all of your abilities to grow your life the best you can. If you use the gifts with which God has blessed you, you will be rewarded. With God, all things are possible. My mantra today is to move forward and be positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment