Monday, July 5, 2010

07-05-10 Lately, I have been doing a lot of soul-searching, considering some major transitions in my life.

First up for consideration has been my massage therapy business. Never having excelled in science, I’ve been amazed that I successfully completed the class for massage therapy. Unfortunately, while living in the same town in which the massage classes are being held is an advantage while you are taking the classes, it is NOT an advantage while seeking a way to use the skills learned. There are massage therapists all over this town, at every turn!

Feeling that I thought I preferred to work for someone else, I approached many businesses in the area, only to be told that they were not interested. Two assisted living facilities were happy to have me volunteer, but neither was able either to hire me, or to let me rent space at their facilities.

I am no longer twenty-something. For years, I worked at jobs in which I really didn’t want to stay, but stayed – for my husband and for myself - because of the income and the benefits. Now, I am retired and separated, free to choose what I want to do, but I lack as much energy as I had back in “the day.” It is official: I now know that I am not willing to commit the time and energy required to build a massage practice. I had wanted a small niche. I was unable to find it. I am closing up shop and selling my equipment.

I now have a new idea, though, and I think it might suit me better. It may even be more compatible with who I am, the lifestyle I want to pursue, and with what I want others to know about me. I intend to explore what it takes to be a proofreader. To me, it seems like typographical errors are forever jumping off the page, so the need is there. I am not certain, though, that those who make the errors think they are important, or that the erring parties are even aware they are making said errors. I like to write. Because I want the words I put on a page to reflect exactly what I mean, and because I hate being distracted by incorrect spelling or use of word, I pay attention to these items. This is important to me. I am hoping it will be important enough to others that they will desire my services.

Other advantages for this business include being able to work from home, to manage my time as I desire, and, should I decide to move in the future, being able to move my business with me as I will likely do most of my correspondence through e-mail and/or the postal service.

Second to be considered are the prayers I have been writing. Several months ago it seemed that publication was nearly around the corner. However, the man who was at the hub of it all, has fallen very ill. He may recover, and the possibilities we had spoken of MAY become realities, but I must begin to move forward. It is time for me to get serious about finding a publisher.

Too often lately, I have been reminded that I am no longer young. While that has certain merits, it also has pitfalls. The bottom line for me is that I have felt the need to review my life and the things I have accomplished, as well as those that are still waiting to be done. If I knew I was going to die in a week, a month, a year…what would I feel was vital to have accomplished? What do I believe I was put here on earth to do?

I am taking stock of my life these days. Soon I hope to have a new and successful business. I will move forward with efforts to find a publisher. I am taking stock of my personal belongings and attempting to downsize and simplify. In light of these realizations, and in honor of progress toward them, I am changing the title of this blog from "Tender Touch"to “Transitions.” I will renew myself and begin once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment